Everyone loves perks. Whether it’s a high-dollar tip you receive as a server at a fine restaurant, or a freebee thrown in your shopping bag at the local mall, perks simply feel wonderful! So when I ran across PerkStreet Financial, I thought: “Wow, cash back on my debit card purchases? Is this for real? Am I dreaming?”
I wasn’t dreaming. It was real. But the inevitable question arose: Will PerkStreet Financial work with my budgeting techniques?
In short, the answer was yes! Here are the budgeting tactics I use to get the most out of my money, and how you can maximize your PerkStreet perks at the same time!
1. Spend This Month’s Income Next Month!
This is by far one of the most beneficial budgeting tactics ever conceived. By spending this month’s income next month, you ensure a greater amount of cash in your PerkStreet checking account. Here are the benefits:
- You’ll have a buffer of cash if you accidentally overspend in one of your budgeting categories. It happens, so it helps to be prepared!
- You’ll know EXACTLY how much you should spend each and every month. Instead of guessing what your pay will be for the month you’re trying to budget, you can simply look at your previous month’s paychecks and allocate the total amongst all your budgeting categories. Easy, easy, easy!
- You’ll be much closer if not over the $5,000 minimum requirement to receive 2% cash back on your debit card! This can effectively double your cash back returns! Ta da!
You might be wondering how you’ll ever save up enough money to get to the point where you don’t have to live paycheck to paycheck. It’ll take a few months. For most, it’s a good goal to fully implement this tactic over the course of three to six months. Make cuts in your spending to get to the point where you can spend this month’s income next month. Trust me, once you get to that point, you’ll have so much more peace!
2. Hunt Down New Ways To Use Your Debit Card!
Using a debit card for the majority of your expenses is smart for several reasons! What are they?
- You’ll be spending your own, hard-earned money. No debt. No interest rates. No financial risk.
- You’ll be earning loads of perks with your PerkStreet debit card. You could earn cash back for your wallet, music for your ears, or coffee for your brain! The key to earning perks at PerkStreet is using your card — that’s where the cash back is earned!
- You can rest assured that your transactions are backed by the Visa zero-liability policy. No worries, just secure shopping!
Therefore, find every reasonable way possible to spend with your debit card. Take some time to think about all the ways you spend money, and how you can use your debit card instead of other forms of payment. You’ll earn great perks, help reduce dependency on credit, and shop securely! Make sure that you always sign for purchases with your card instead of enterig your PIN! to earn your perks!
3. Don’t Neglect Those Envelopes!
There’s a seldom mentioned perk to using PerkStreet Financial – free ATMs! Remember, PerkStreet wants you to be responsible with money. If you’re getting into trouble by overspending in certain categories, try the good old fashioned envelope budgeting system! PerkStreet has a network of over 37,000 free ATMs that are waiting for you to use! Now that, my friend, is a major perk! The envelope budgeting system helped me get through the first few Dave Ramsey Baby Steps and it can help you too! The envelope budgeting system has the following benefits:
- You’ll have a tangible limit on your spending. When you run out of cash, you’ll stop spending!
- You’ll find bargains at small businesses and person-to-person deals by flashing the cash! Cash is a powerful emotional tool.
- You’ll have a way to pay for goods and services on those rare occasions when debit cards are not accepted. Cash is the most liquid form of money, don’t leave home without it!
There you have it: 3 budgeting tactics you can use to get the most out of your free PerkStreet checking account. I’ve been a customer of PerkStreet Financial for several months now, and I can tell you they’re a top notch company.
Are you ready to maximize your perks? Let us know your tactics in the comments below!
John Frainee is the webmaster and a writer for the ever-growing blog, The Christian Dollar. John enjoys exploring how faith and finance interact, spending time with his wife and family, and meeting readers from all over the web. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Bible and Christian Counseling and loves encouraging others in their financial pursuits. You can also find him on Facebook and Twitter.
Interested in a guest column on the PerkStreet Blog like John has? Email the editor at kyle.psaty[at]perkstreet[dot]com
Want to earn some serious cash back on a debit card? The PerkStreet Financial Visa Debit Card offers up to 5% Cash Back in certain categories and up to 2% Cash Back on all your other non-PIN debit card purchases!