How do you pay with your phone and earn rewards? This week, Google gave this question an answer, announcing that the much-talked-about Google Wallet mobile payment app can now be used with any credit or debit card from Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover — including PerkStreet.
The mobile app essentially allows you to pay with a card by way of your phone — so you don’t have to carry the card with you.
This means you can earn the rewards offered by your card provider while paying with Google’s mobile wallet app.
In other words, any rewards you can earn with your card by swiping will likely still be credited to you when you pay using the app. It’s time to talk about layering deals, offers and coupons to get the best deal possible on Google Wallet.
How to Pay with Your Phone and Earn Rewards
1) Big Discounts at National Retailers
Shortly after its inception last September, Google Wallet began announcing exclusive deals at major retailers for those paying with Google Wallet. Coupons! These deals have been consistently good, though they’ve primarily been available only in major metros. As of today, some of the deals Google Wallet is offering through national retailers include:
- 15% off at the Gap (Bay Area) Exp. 12/31/12
- 15% off at Banana Republic (Bay Area) Exp. 12/31/12
- Up to 20% off at Foot Locker (NYC, SF, LA, DC, CHI) Exp. 2/2/13
- 15% off at American Eagle Outfitters (NYC, SF, LA, DC, CHI) Exp. 12/31/12
2) More Deals at Local Merchants
Layering Deals, Offers and Coupons
Until this week, Google Wallet has only worked for folks with Citibank MasterCards® and Google prepaid cards. Now, you can add pretty much any credit or debit card to Google Wallet, making combo-deals possible.
Since Google Wallet simply allows users to pay with their cards through their phones, the rewards typically earned by using the cards will still be credited to users when they use Google Wallet. This means PerkStreet customers who add their PerkStreet Financial Debit MasterCards® to Google Wallet and pay for their purchases by phone will still earn up to 5% cash back on debit when they do (provided they never enter their PINs).
This means any discounts or rewards Google Wallet ends up offering at checkout apply, and the remaining purchase will qualify for rewards on PerkStreet cards as well as many of the other rewards-earning credit and debit cards out there.
Google Wallet Still has Shortcomings
You may be thinking, I’m going to get Google Wallet right now and start layering deals! But not so fast. Google Wallet is still far from perfect. Two major barriers still remain in the way for most people:
- Google Wallet can only be used at about 200,000 stores, according to Google, including those of Whole Foods Market, McDonald’s and Walgreens. Google will be recruiting more merchants, but the technology simply isn’t going to work at many of the places you shop today.
- Google Wallet is only available on a half-dozen devices, meaning there’s a good chance you can’t even download it yet. Google will be working to make it available on more devices, but who knows how easy it will be, since AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are all collaborating on a Google Wallet competitor called Isis.
If you’re looking to save money and combine offers by using mobile payments, sit tight. It seems like this is something that will be more and more possible over time — especially after Isis launches. If you can, using Google Wallet to grab bonus rewards on top of your card’s rewards program seems like a no-brainer already.
Are you using Google Wallet with PerkStreet? Are you using it with another rewards debit or credit card? Tell us about the experience and share any tips you have in the comments below?